Magick System

Most spells have two components: power level, requirements, and effects. Power level is a number that reflects how hard a spell is to cast. Requirements are the material components, chanting, hand motions, or actions needed to cast the spell. Most spells have at least one requirement and if it is not listed in the spellbook, then it is assumed that the basic requirement merely takes an action. Finally, the effect is what the spell actually does.

The roll for casting a spell is always Willpower + Arcana, and per combat scene you suffer a cumulative -2 to each spell cast with WIL/Arcana

The goal of the spellcasting roll is to get a number of successes equal to or greater than the power level of the spell. A PL 3 spell, for example, requires at least three successes to cast successfully. If the roll garners no successes then the spell fails entirely. If the spell garners at least one success but not a number of successes greater than or equal to the spell's power level, there is a miscasting.

Avoiding Spells

Different spells can be avoided by their targets in different ways. All spells that manifest physical effects (Like Magic Missile or Lightning Bolt) can be dodged at various penalties as per normal combat. Many others can be avoided using doubled willpower or constitution roll. The director will notify you when such is the case.


You get a number of actions to cast spells according to your willpower, and the rest follows the usual action rules:

Willpower Extra Actions
5-6 1
7-8 2
9-10 3
11 - 13 4
14 - 16 5
+3 +1

These penalties do not shift between combat and out of combat.


Hedges (Small-time Mages) start with three Power Level 1 spells of their choice, and spend 2XP per Power Level to buy new spells. Without formal training from a master of magick, they can never purchase spells above Power Level V.

Trained Mages or those with a ridiculous amount of raw talent start with six spells of their choice between Power Level I and IV. Purchasing a spell costs 1XP per Power Level.

Spells and Armor

Wearing any armor will slow your movement, and wearing heavy armors will stop the critical physical elements of some spells or invocations. You suffer a -2 to casting rolls to hit/affect when wearing leather armor, and a -4 to spells in lorica plates.

When wearing leather tunics, a person suffers from a 20% Spell Reduction. This means that all spells have a twenty percent chance of miscasting, and furthermore only deal 80% of the damage they normally would.

When wearing lorica or heavy legion armor, a spellcaster suffers from a 40% Spell Reduction rate, dealing only 60% normal damage and having only a decent chance at successfully casting the spell.

These can be mitigated by taking certain Supernatural Qualities.